mmdf mail and smail for SCO Unix 3.2

Chip Rosenthal chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US
Wed Nov 15 18:48:49 AEST 1989

frankb at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:
>I can't tell you exactly how I did it, but I did install smail
>2.5 and elm on SCO Unix.  I did have to rip out the mail that
>was there (good grief!  what is that anyway?) and "borrow" the
>xenix local mailer (mail and execmail).  Basically, I emulated
>the mail system as it's set up on Xenix and smail (and elm) were
>happy.

You might even consider junking "execmail".  Given you are running smail2.5,
execmail is required to implement two additional items:  Micnet and local
user delivery.  Most sane, rational people don't care about micnet (one
or two rational people do care, but most don't), and then that only leaves
the issue of local user delivery.

To do this, you could then install "lmail" or "deliver" and define this
as your LMAIL in smail.  (I can recommend "deliver" because I've used
it.  "lmail" should work but I don't have any experience with it.)
Furthermore, it is a simple hack or two on smail's main procedure to
recognize and promptly ignore any options mail(C) might pass to execmail,
and you can install smail as /usr/lib/mail/execmail.

I found that totally scrapping the SCO XENIX mail stuff (except for
/usr/bin/mail) and using smail2.5, deliver, and Elm made for an extremely
powerful, tight, little mail system.

Locally, "vector" is running smail3 because the smtp capability is needed.
But, I'm considering chucking smail3 from "chinacat" and dropping back
to the above mail system.

However, I only advocate doing this for SCO XENIX.  I haven't played around
with the SCO UNIX mail system.  There are some folks out there who really
do like "mmdf", and it might be a mistake to dump it without knowing what
you've got.  Any mmdf hackers care to comment?

--
Chip Rosenthal / chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
Someday the whole country will be one vast "Metroplex" - Zippy's friend Griffy