How to choose SCSI

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Fri Nov 17 07:47:00 AEST 1989

>	Does the Adaptec SCSI controller support both disks and tapes?
>How many devices can it support?  Ideally, I'd like to have two disks
>and one tape driver.  What kind of performance do you get with an Archive
>Viper with a SCSI interface?

The board itslef doesn't care what is hanging off of the cable.  You can have
up to 56 devices on the bus (7 targets,8 LUN's/target).  The operating
system is the real limitation.

Under MS-DOS:
With no drivers, the board supports the AT INT13 BIOS specification.  Which
only allows for 2 hard drives TOTAL in the system.  With the ASW-1140
SY-TOS package, you can have up to a total of 7 devices on the adapter.
They can be tape or HD's.

Under SCO 2.3GT XENIX:
You can have up to 4 devices on each host adapter.  The OS supports 2 host
adapters.  A mix of hard drives or tapes.

Under Novell 2.15:
With the ASW-1110 Novell driver, you can have up to 7 hard drives only.

Performance is relative to the operating system.  But you should get up
to 4MBytes/minute.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,attctc}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese