MAXTOR XT4170 with WD1007 Controller (& SpeedStore)

Randall L. Smith randy at rls.UUCP
Sat Nov 25 07:06:13 AEST 1989

For openers, my comments were directed to the WD1007-WA2 and the XT4170-E.

In article <1989Nov24.025335.20233 at ddsw1.MCS.COM>, karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
> In article <10373 at rls.UUCP> randy at rls.UUCP (Randall L. Smith) writes:
> (formatting instructions)...
>
>> debug
>> - G=C800:5
>
> Unless you're set up for a secondary ROM entry (which is REAL important if
> you have a VGA card), in which case it's CC00:5.

Granted.  Presumably, if you set up such a configuration, you would be
aware of the differing address requirements of unique setups.  The address
C800:5 is by and large more likely.

>> Anyway, just take the default conflaguration which will appear strange
>> and totally wrong.  As I recall, there are three choices.  One is for
>> 17 sectors/track (spt), 34 spt and 63 spt.  The head count will be many
>> times more than true and the spt and cylinders way off.  Thats good.
>
> You can only do this after physically formatting the drive.

This *is* a physical format.  In fact it is *the only* way to do a low
level format via the WD1007-WA2.  I don't understand your definition of
"physical", but I still think my comments were correct.

>> Somehow by multiplying them together you get the actual surface area
>> equivalence for the drive.  For a drive with more than 1024 cylinders
>> (as is XT4170E) use the selection with 63 sectors/track.
>
> NO!  Doing that makes the system quite a bit slower than if you leave it at
> the real physical parameters!   You see, the controller has to remapping if
> you set things up like that.

But Karl, that is the function of the WD1007-WA2.  Dos and earlier versions
of Unix cannot (with native drivers) access those extended address ranges.
Since all the computing and remapping is done on the controller, this
should not be slower.

If your system can directly address these drives, then more power to you.
I too would use direct addressing if it were possible, but alas it is not
here.  I would venture most cannot and I am not aware of any that do.  I'd
love to hear (by e-mail) of some that do.

> The WD1007-SE2 can also set up for 36 sectors and still run 1:1 interleave,
> while the WD1007-WA2 can only do 35 sectors if you want 1:1, not to mention
> that the SE2 board will also run 15Mhz (760MB) drives at full rated speed.
>
>> The real bummer is you have to *manually* enter all the defect list.
>> Grrrr.  WD says they will fix this eventually.  It's really unthinkable
>> they didn't provide that from day one.  Oh well.
>
> The SE2 doesn't do this; it reads the defect list from the drive and ALSO
> allows you to enter manual defects as well.

Well, we're talking about two different controllers in the same line and I
cannot speak to the SE2.  Your corrections really apply to the SE2 and it
is my fault for not considering that controller in making my comments.
However Karl, all my instructions come from TFM or my own experience so you
are simply refuting Western Digitals manuals and reccommendations.

As I said before, this is *exactly* what I am running under Microport v3.0e
and *no* problems with performance or reliability have occurred.

Cheers!

- randy

Usenet: randy at rls.uucp
Bangpath: ...<backbone>!osu-cis!rls!randy
Internet: rls!randy at tut.cis.ohio-state.edu