MMDF, Smail and Elm Mailer

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Tue Nov 21 10:58:42 AEST 1989

I recently upgrade to SCO UNIX from Xenix/386.  SCO Unix comes with MMDF
and Sendmail and MMDF is driving me nuts!!   I am trying to get rid of
MMDF, especially  ^A^A^A^A in /usr/spool/mail area because ELM does not
like this at all and I get error message:

Reading in /usr/spool/mail/root, message:0
Folder is corrupt !!  I can't read it!!

Elm works fine ONLY after I delete ^A^A^A^A (real ctl-A).  I want to get
rid of this control characters.   I have ELM v2 PL0 and I still dont
have any other patches from PL0 to PL13 at all.  I prefer to get patch
via email or archiver and I dont have FTP at all.

I have tried to replace mail, rmail and execmail but ELM appears to look
for sendmail and other mail file and then it went back to MMDF for
adding ^A^A^A^A.  I still dont understand how mail works.

After I upgrade to Unix, Elm is no longer look up /usr/lib/uucp/paths
and also Unix mail appears that it is no longer using smail program.
If I type smail -A uunet!root, it works on adding pathname between here
and uunet.

I just want to get ELM to work with smail in both local and uucp mail.
Are there any patches (PL 1 to 13) support MMDF and its Smail.  Are
there other ways to get rid of MMDF or "^A^A^A^A".

Thanks in advance!

willy