WP

Russ Kepler russ at bbx.UUCP
Thu Nov 23 05:21:45 AEST 1989

In article <103 at clkwrka.UUCP> neal at clkwrka.UUCP writes:
>Sure I got it to work great... sort of.  Here is the deal:
>
>	It gets real upset about using any sort of virtual drives.  Gags and
>	spits and rolls on the floor.  Sooo, you have to load IT AND EVERY
>	FILE you intend to use onto the Dos partition.  Of course, this means
>	that only one person can use it at a time, but otherwise it tools
>	along.

There's a *good* reason for this: VP/ix still lies about the length
of a file that exists in the Xenix filesystem.  open() a file using
the MS-DOS 3.0 'shared+deny none' attribtes, lseek() to the end and
look at the returned length: 4385 bytes.  Never more, never less.

Works *real* good for software designed to work on networks.  I've
gotten *soooo* tired of reporting this that I just don't bother any
more - I just tell folks not to bother with VP/ix.

--
Russ Kepler -  Basis International
SNAILMAIL:  5901 Jefferson NE, Albuquerque, NM 87109