lock up with XENIX

Usenet file owner usenet at cps3xx.UUCP
Wed Nov 22 08:49:22 AEST 1989

>From article <118 at quame.UUCP>, by bryan at quame.UUCP (Bryan A. Woodruff):
> In article <180 at mdi386.UUCP>, bruce at mdi386.UUCP (Bruce A. McIntyre) writes:
>> I am running into a problem with a client, and want to know if anyone
>> on the net may have a suggestion..
>>
>> The problem is that at sporadic times, the system just locks up solid.
>> There is no warning, the swap doesn't seem overloaded (6MB swap) and
>> there is never any error messages in /usr/adm/messages.  Since this
>> board can't expand beyond 4MB memory, and I can't upgrade them 'til
>> next year, I can't add memory at this time.

Alot of PC keyboards have a switch on the bottom to select it as a XT
or an AT style keyboard. I've seen machine lock up under DOS or XENIX
sometimes if this switch changes settings while the machine is running.
The 8042 goes out to lunch sometimes from this. I've seen keyboards
where the switch gets bumped into an in between position, the machine
powers up and runs fine until the keyboard gets shifted a little bit...

j				|%|John Lawitzke, Dale Computer Corp., R&D
Inquiring minds just wondering. |%|Internet: jhl at frith.egr.msu.edu