Adaptec 1540A, two HDs, one tape

Mike Squires mikes at NCoast.ORG
Fri Nov 17 15:48:59 AEST 1989

In article <935 at puck.UUCP> asp at puck.UUCP (Andy Puchrik) writes:

>	Does the Adaptec SCSI controller support both disks and tapes?
>How many devices can it support?  Ideally, I'd like to have two disks
>and one tape driver.  What kind of performance do you get with an Archive
>Viper with a SCSI interface?

I am using an Adaptec 1540A controller in a Tandy 4000LX with a CDC 340MB
primary and a Micropolis 660MB secondary HD, plus a Cipher 150II SCSI tape
drive.  Disk throughput running "tar" in multiuser mode using the "monitor"
program posted to this group some time ago shows peak rates around 120KB/sec
to the Micropolis drive.  The tape drive is fast enough.  This installation
uses vanilla SCO XENIX 2.3.2 GT with 4MB DRAM on the 4000LX.

Michael L. Squires      uucp: {necntc,cwjcc,hoptoad}!ncoast!peng!sir-alan!mikes
752 Chestnut Street                 ..!{pitt,uunet!convex,uunet}!sir-alan!mikes
Meadville, PA 16335                      BITNET: mikes%sir-alan at pitt.UUCP (VAX)
Voice:  814 337 5528                          MIKES AT SIR-ALAN!PITT.UUCP (IBM)
Data:   814 337 0348             Internet: sir-alan!mikes at uunet.uu.net
login of "ubbs" for BBS                    sir-alan!mikes at vax.cs.pittsburgh.edu