SCO UNIX Development

John C. Tompkins jct at jct.UUCP
Wed Nov 15 12:10:11 AEST 1989

In article <1603 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <602 at tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:
>
> |  Just me.  The performance is DOWN with UNIX.  When something like
> |  rnews or expire is running in the background, everything else pretty
> |  much comes to a halt.
>
>   If this is a common problem Xenix may be with us. I was planning to
> upgrade in January, but any less performance would be unacceptable. Do
> other people find that news bogs the machine?

Well I used to have a 10Mhz 286 Xenix with 1MB RAM that news would take
FOREVVVVVVVVVER (a 50k file might typically take 15-20 minutes!) to run.

Now I have a 386 with 4MB and still using Xenix 286. News runs in almost
no time (same typical file takes less than 1 minute.)

I think it was the limited amount of free memory that was the problem. The
386 helps but not that much, particulary since its running as a 286.