DMAEXCL

Steven Edward Watt swatt at cup.portal.com
Wed Nov 15 10:36:34 AEST 1989

akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
>Reference the DMAEXCL under Hardware Dependant Parameters (in Tuning
>System Performance) - the configure script mentions that this should
>usually be 1 - in what cases (or types of hardware) should this be
>set to 0?

If memory serves, 1 means don't run parallel DMA...
If there is more than 1 card installed that can do DMA, and
DMAEXCL is set to 0, then both cards (at least in theory)
will be able to to DMA into the system's buffers...
Higher throughput, generally.  I would test any devices that
used DMA thoroughly before running with DMAEXCL set to 0, tho...

Steve Watt
swatt at cup.portal.com   ...!ucbvax!sun!portal!cup.portal.com