SCO Support

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Fri Nov 24 07:37:50 AEST 1989

I am pretty well known as a dead-set anti-UNIX guy who prefers
DOS, but I do have experience with SCO, (they support my UNIX
SystemV/386 r3.2 since it's their fault...).

You'd better check again about running Gibson Spin-Rite remotely
in DOS, and it sounds like you think you can run the Norton
Utilities remotely, too. (Not recommended, especially now that
you might be going across as DOS3 to DOS4 connection.)

My problem with SCO is the distribution media doesn't read well
on my systems (Compaq Deskpro 386S, Nothgate Elegance 386/20).
I have rock solid floppy drives in both, and have extensively
tested these since my problems with SCO's distribution disks.
SCO keeps suggesting that I have rather shabby hardware, etc.
When I try to install stuff, I have about a 30% chance of getting
the 'Error: Disk not in Drive' problem.

Lest anybody think I can't read manuals, or have strange inabilities
to close my drive doors, then maybe SCO has a place for you in
tech support. On the other hand, they have offered to swap the
media (as much for their quality control as my satisfaction) but
I would say that their support is on a par with most DOS support
I've needed; (Quarterdeck, for example, SoftKlone, or Microsoft.)

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt