Compiler error messages (lack of)

Ross Oliver rosso at sco.COM
Tue Nov 28 12:57:11 AEST 1989

In article <529 at s5.Morgan.COM> amull at Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) writes:
>When I have compiler errors in cc or rcc under SCO UNIX System
>V/386 r3.2 I only get the error number, not the text, (or the
>helpful indication of which identifier is undefined, etc.).
>Now I can find the files containing the error texts, but
>maybe cc can't. Any suggestions?

This can happen if you installed only parts of the SCO UNIX Development
System.  If you did not install the "386XDEV" package, you will be
missing the files /lib/386/c1.err and /lib/386/c23.err, where the text
of the error messages reside.  The compiler then can't find the messages
to print.  To correct the problem, use the custom utility to install these
two files, or the entire 386XDEV package.  In the next release, we plan
to change the installation procedure so these files are always installed.

Ross Oliver
Technical Support
The Santa Cruz Operation, Inc.