Irwin tape drive (10 meg) & Sco Xenix 286 2.2.3

G. Simon Gales simon at ms.uky.edu
Tue Nov 28 14:11:43 AEST 1989

I'm trying to get my Irwin 10meg tape drive to function on my work computer
under Xenix 286, version 2.2.3.  The drive does fine under DOS, but a Xenix
format always fails eventually (ioctl fails on track 8 (9?)).  I am using
bulk-erased tapes.
After starting the format, the servo write appears to be done successfully
(format spins tape silently for 15-20min).  Then the 'formatting track ##'
appears, but I get an error message just after it starts to format track 9.
Writing to a formatted (???) tape only produces write errors.

Does the Irwin drive only work under 2.3?  Noone at work can find a new set
of 2.3 disks, so for now I'm stuck at 2.2.3.

--
Simon Gales at The University of Kentucky
   simon at ms.uky.edu             | 'Fate... protects fools, little children,