Xenix 'size' command says 0 text size?

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.com
Thu Oct 19 08:05:51 AEST 1989

According to toppin at melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin):
>We are rrunning IBM Xenix 2 on the 286.
>We have a problem in using the size command to estimate how much
>memory a process is going to need. Occasionally, it will say
>that the text segment is 0 sized.

Xenix executables for the 8086, '186 and '286 small model can be linked with
"impure" text; i.e. the text and data are stored in one modifiable segment.
In such an executable, both text and data are counted as data, so there is
no "text" to report.

Link the executable with "-i" to generate separate text and data.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>