awk

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Wed Oct 4 00:56:35 AEST 1989

In article <219915 at neabbs.UUCP>, richard at neabbs.UUCP (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:

|  However, someone else sent me a workaround. Thank's! I can't find
|  your name rigth now, because I'm at another location. From memory,
|  the workaround was that variables are only initialised after the
|  first line has been read. You also have to specify a minus sign on
|  the command line to force reading stdin. (Which should be standard)

  It seems to work in 2.3.2. You could do that update, which might be
cheaper, or install gawk which should fix the problem. The required -
seems to have gone away in 2.3.2, also. I have a lot of scripts which
include it, but I tried your example, thing the - was the problem, and
it worked either way. Also works with the new AT&T awk.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon