PACKDISK with 1 filesystem

Gary Blumenstein garyb at gallium.UUCP
Sun Oct 29 18:51:16 AEST 1989

In article <106 at avatar.UUCP> kory at avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) writes:
>I picked up a copy of PACKDISK with the Xenix/386 modifications. PACKDISK
>needs to have the file system its compressing to be unmounted for
>obvious reasons. I only have 1 filesystem on my drive (root). Can
>I create a boot floppy and run packdisk off of that? If so, do I
>tell packdisk to pack /dev/hd0?

I did this by creating a bootable floppy and using mknod(C) to create a
device for the hard disk on the floppy.  Place packdisk in the floppy's
/bin directory and run it by specifying the character special device
file.  For example, if the hard disk block device is named /dev/hd0root
then the character device would be /dev/rhd0root.

For the most happiness and enjoyment, run fsck both in front and behind
packdisk.

Ref. See DiSCOver, Mar/Apr 1988 for more info on creating rootable/bootable
floppies and device files.
                                             -- Gary --
--
Gary Blumenstein, UNIX Network Administrator // CIBA-GEIGY CORPORATION, USA