16550 driver for Xenix-286 v2.2.3

Larry Snyder akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP
Tue Oct 24 11:46:15 AEST 1989

>I'm running a '286 with two serial ports. Currently there's only a 2400 baud
>modem connected, but we're about to add a 9600 baud terminal, and possibly
>switch to a 9600 baud modem in the next few months.
>I'm looking at changing the 8250's for 16550's.
>
>I'm sure this has been covered here before, but please bear with me.
>
>Has anyone written and made available a driver to take advantage of the
>16550's
>FIFO?  Where can I get a copy from?

There is a public domain driver floating around that works well under
386/ix (so I've been told).  I've played with various smartcards, and
haven't found one that works correctly with multiple bi-directional
modems - so I ended up with a dumb 8 channel serial card (Hostess)
with 8250 chips - and I run 4 high speed modems all locked at 19,200 -
and I haven't had a single problem.  I've sent a couple of messages
off to SCO asking for 16550 FIFO support in their drivers - and still
no reply.  Maybe if others join in with the message writing they will
add FIFO support in the next release (Amy?)