Questions on DOS to UNIX

akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP akcs.larry at nstar.UUCP
Tue Oct 10 10:24:17 AEST 1989

>Thanks to Randy Bush I now have a link to the Unix world, ie. this newsgroup.
>I want to move from the DOS world to the Unix world and am sure this

Randy got me started as well.  Welcome!

>Presently I'm running a FidoNet BBS using FrontDoor/Opus on a 386/20 with 4
>megs of RAM and a 70 meg hard drive using an HST9600 modem.  What I would like
>s install Xenix/Unix on my computer along with a DOS emulator (VPix) and be
>e to access UseNet and FidoNet from either system.  I know that V32 is the

I am running SCO Xenix 2.3.2 with VP/ix 1.01 on a 25 mhz '386 with 4 megs
of ram.  Front Door should work with your HST if the port is not locked.

>1) Could I have a V32 modem connected to COM1 accessible from Unix/Xenix mail
>and the HST connected to COM2 accessible from FD/Opus on the same machine and
>active concurrently through separate phone lines?

Sure.  Chances are that you will not be able to support the Front Door modem
locked at 19,200.

>2) Is it possible to have a BBS that would allow access to users of both
>message bases, ie. Newsgroups and Fido Echomail?

Not unless the messages are tossed into one system (ie: either the Fido
ufgated into usenet - or the usenet ufgated into Fido).

>3) If the above system is at all possible, what version of Unix/Xenix would be
>advisable to purchase?  I understand the SCO puts out unix in 2 flavours:  SCO
>Xenix 386 and SCO Unix V.

I would suggest SCO Xenix at this time - Unix is a new product and still is
being "fine tuned".  SCO Xenix has been around for years - and is very solid
and mature.

>4) Could I "get by" at this point with my 70 meg hd in trying to accomplish
>the
>above?

I would think it would be tight - but it depends on the amount of usenet
traffic you want to handle.  I am tossing around 40 megabytes a week of
usenet mail alone.