Xenix filesystem fragmentation

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Wed Oct 18 08:01:13 AEST 1989

In article <359 at mplex.UUCP> fff at mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>Does anyone know of program that will defragment a Xenix filesystem?
>
>Is it true that rm'ing all files in a filesystem and then restoring them
>will defragment a filesystem?

I have taken the recently-posted PACKDISK program, mangled it slightly, and
made it work fantastically for SCO XENIX V/386 2.3

It makes a BIG difference.  From 65% fragmented to 1.2% typically.  Not bad.

It works ok, requires about 2 hours to run on a 3/4 full 90MB filesystem
(which is the nastiest test we've tossed at it so far).

It should work for 80286 systems as well, but no guarantees.  The code has
been somewhat massaged from what was posted.

You can get it off our dial-in system.  No anonymous uucp is provided,
unfortunately (we run a strange uucp and can't allow it; it's not HDB).  You
can, however, download it from our database areas.

To get in, dial the number in my .sig below, type "new" when asked for a
login name, and sign up.  Then join the conference "dl.unix" with the
command "j dl.unix".  Read message #3, say "attach" at the prompt, tell the
system to queue the file, then type "download" to send it.  You need one of
(1) Zmodem, (2) Xmodem, (3) Ymodem or (4) Kermit receive capability to get
the file on your end.

Enjoy.  No warranties, but it does work for me.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 312 566-8911], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]