SCO UNIX 3.2 difficulty

Terry Hull terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu
Thu Oct 5 07:36:59 AEST 1989

In article <27516 at looking.on.ca> brad at looking.on.ca (Brad Templeton) writes:
>In article <833 at eecea.eece.ksu.edu> terry at eecea.eece.ksu.edu (Terry Hull) writes:
>>I guess that means that all you TB+ people out there had better be ready
>>to go to 9600 when you upgrade to UNIX 3.2.
>
>Nonsense.  While I can't say that 3.2 has been without upgrade problems,
>I am running the TB+ at 19.2 call in/call out with no problems.
>
>I am using RTS/CTS flow control -- perhaps that's the trick.  Set that
>register on your TB and make sure you use a cable with all the wires.

That is interesting because I just spoke with Chris in SCO support and
he claims that 19200 baud is broken no matter what you do and RTSFLOW
CTSFLOW do not work correctly.  Here is what happens on my machine:

1)  Modem answers the phone.
2)  Modem raises DCD.
3)  uugetty is now able to open the port and apply the stty settings
    to the port.  If RTSFLOW and CTSFLOW are specified in the gettydefs
    file, the computer promptly drops RTS, and the modem cannot send
    any data to the computer since the modem is waiting for an active RTS.
4)  If I do not specify RTSFLOW/CTSFLOW in the gettydefs file, the
    computer will hold RTS high.

I am really glad that it is working for you, but SCO claims that it
is broken, and it is broken on my machine.  I am  using SCO's drivers for
a DigiBoard Com/4 dumb serial card.

SCO support claims there will be a support level supplement for the
19200 problem, but the RTS/CTS problem will not be fixed until 3.2.2
or so.

BTW:  What serial board are you using and what does your gettydefs
entry look like?

--
Terry Hull
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Kansas State University