Xenix filesystem fragmentation

Kayvan Sylvan kayvan at mrspoc.Transact.COM
Fri Oct 20 16:20:06 AEST 1989

Karl> In article <359 at mplex.UUCP> fff at mplex.UUCP (Fred Fierling) writes:
>Does anyone know of program that will defragment a Xenix filesystem?
>
>Is it true that rm'ing all files in a filesystem and then restoring them
>will defragment a filesystem?

Karl> I have taken the recently-posted PACKDISK program, mangled it
Karl> slightly, and made it work fantastically for SCO XENIX V/386 2.3

Karl> It makes a BIG difference.  From 65% fragmented to 1.2%
Karl> typically.  Not bad.

If someone gets Karl's version of PACKDISK who has anonymous UUCP set
up on their machine or who has internet (ftp) access, please make this
available to the rest of us??

Thanks!

			---Kayvan
--
Kayvan Sylvan @ Transact Software, Inc. -*-  Los Altos, CA (415) 961-6112
Internet: kayvan at Transact.COM -*- UUCP: ...!{apple,pyramid,mips}!mrspoc!kayvan