sector interleave

Fred Fierling fff at mplex.UUCP
Mon Oct 2 11:19:32 AEST 1989

We recently replaced an ailing IBM disk controller with a Western Digital
WD1006 in an IBM AT running Xenix 2.2.1 and used a program from
comp.binaries.ibm.pc called "iau" to change the interleave.  To our surprise
the program, which performs interleave adjustments non-destructively on DOS
disks, trashed the Xenix filesystem on the disk.

I don't understand why this would happen.  Seems to me the order of the
sectors in a track is of little concern to operating systems.  Can anybody
explain why this wouldn't work?

Also, anybody know of a utility that non-destructively changes disk interleave
and runs under Xenix?
--
Fred Fierling   uunet!van-bc!mplex!fff    Tel: 604 875-1461   Fax: 604 875-9029
Microplex Systems Ltd, 265 East 1st Avenue Vancouver, BC, V5T 1A7, Canada