dosread.c again

Bruce Evans evans at ditsyda.oz
Mon Oct 16 04:16:45 AEST 1989

In article <3a18.2536ede8 at ibmpcug.co.uk> ronald at ibmpcug.co.uk (Ronald Khoo) writes:
>magic != 0xAA55
>Can't handle disk
>
>Interesting that this has never stopped me using floppies formatted under
>SCO Xenix before.  Is dos{read,write,dir) the only program in the world

Sorry about that. Even DOS doesn't check this particular magic number. It
probably only belongs on *bootable* disks. DOS 3.3 requires it for bootable
hard disk partitions at least. Sun 386i's are reported to require it for
bootable floppies.

So you can delete the test, and the program should be changed to check some
other magic numbers (probably just the consistency of the parameter block).
Bruce Evans		evans at ditsyda.oz.au