SCO XENIX (SLS) xnx128

Bill Blue bblue at toshi.cts.com
Fri Oct 6 13:21:37 AEST 1989

In article <5019 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bt455s39 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>There appears to be a problem with Support Level Supplement (SLS) xnx128.
>It is supposed to correct the problems associated with internal modems
>under SCO XENIX 286 2.2.3 and SCO XENIX 386 2.3.1, instead it corrupts
>libio.a and causes the following error upon the next reboot...

>kernel: PANIC: non-recoverable kernel page fault

I ran across this a couple of weeks ago and reported it to sco!rosso,
who told me they were unaware of any problems and that I should send
info about it to sco!support.  I never did, though.

The problem of the getty messages that prompts the need for xnx128 can
be caused by a modem that is sending response codes to the getty when
it should really be silent (like when answering a ringing line).  On
external modems the problem can *also* be caused by the RI line of the
serial cable being connected through, as might happen in a
straight-through cable (pin 22 on a 25 pin and pin 9 on a 9 pin
connector).  Just lift that line and all is well.  After discovering
this, I went all through the manuals trying to find a reference to
*anything* other than the modem sending result codes, and couldn't.
Can anyone point me to where this is discussed?

--Bill