CMS -Jumbo+ Tape Backup Problems

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Sun Oct 29 16:21:49 AEST 1989

In article <69.25460399 at puddle.fidonet.org>, Rene.Bilodeau at f1106.n351.z1.fidonet.org (Rene Bilodeau) writes:

>[problem with jumbo+ drive explaination]

You know, a week ago I posted an article in response to a person who was
very hard on Colorado Memory Systems, stating he had compatibility problems
also.  At the time, I stated we had no trouble with any of our CMS drives.

Then we updated a box to a jumbo+, and a box to the regular Jumbo from
the old XR4's.  We installed the Jtape drivers as specified.  The
problem we are having is the drive does the backup fine, but it will
not read the tape back.  Well, CMS stated that the problems we were
having were due to the fact that we did not de-install the old xtape
drivers.  So we de-installed both drivers and re-installed as they stated.
Still no luck.  Next we re-installed the link kit and then installed the
Jtape drivers.  Same problem.  Moved it to another machine, same problem.
Got a second Jumbo, same problem.

The reason we updated to jumbos in the first place was because we were
going through XR4's like water.  They had problems writing tapes, and
we would get another, it would have trouble writing tapes, and we
tried several tape manuf.  We even had 3M do an analysis of tapes we
had problems with.  Tapes were fine.

CMS has been so helpful :-), I have only had to call 10 times, and become
obnoxious to even get through their operator.  I guess they must have
a hell of a lot of calls to tech support.  With problems like these,
it is no wonder...

Well, ya get what you pay for.