B News' Directory permission problem in /tmp

Willy Paine paine at fungus.dec.com
Sun Oct 22 12:54:30 AEST 1989

I have SCO Unix 3.2 and SCO told me that B News binaries for Xenix is
fully compatible with Unix 3.2.   I got B News from SCO only about a
month ago.  After I installed (I tried upgrade) into Unix 3.2 and copied
B News from Xenix/386 using tape,  there is problem with postnews and
rnews but rn, readnews and vnews work good.

On Unix 3.2 I got error message for postnews:

inews: Directory permission problem in /tmp
Article not posted - exit status 256

in rnews, I found log in /usr/lib/news saying:
Directory permission problem in /tmp

It is very strange because /tmp is very clean and has 777 permission.
Found many temp file left after rnews and postnews with -rw-rw-rw
permission with news in both owner and group.  My only important
modification after porting into Unix 3.2 is changing passwd and group id
to match with news.   I have checked /usr/lib/news and /usr/spool/news
very well.

I am still waiting for Development Package for Unix 3.2 for about a
month and I am told that I might get one in next three weeks.

Thanks advanced for your help and your time...

willy

p.s. also  uunet!nwnexus!seaeast!willyp