lan workplace, dos/xenix network, etc

Daniel Wynalda danielw at wyn386.UUCP
Fri Oct 20 00:11:29 AEST 1989

I recently installed SCO Xenix-Net and Excelan LAN workplace software
on two 80386 machines and I must say I like it.  There are alot of
"perks" having your WHOLE FILESYSTEM mounted on a remote machine -- for
example you can read/write any terminal on the other machine just by opening
a filename.  (I know this wont seem like much to those of you that use
bigger machines or NFS/RFS, but this is new to us micro folks).

Now that I am impressed with this system, is there anyone out there who's
tied DOS machines into this type of network and used the SCO Xenix
machines as file servers.  The reason I ask is this:

I have a DOS ONLY application that monitors production equipment and updates
logs/files in MSDOS to keep track of information regarding production.  I'd
like to put these files on a XENIX fileserver so I can access/create the files
with the dos machine (full time dedicated) and still be able to get into
the files on our Xenix hosts -- to generate some custom reporting.

Before someone says "why don't you just get the monitoring program running
under Xenix", I went to Chicago yesterday and asked.  That is a ways down
the road for them and I don't get source to this graphics/monitoring program
for Printing Press equipment.  However, if I could get at it's files it'd
be great.

What I'm looking for is input from anyone running LAN workplace and
Xenix-Net from a DOS machine to use files on a Xenix filesystem under
DOS.

Your help, as always, is appreciated.   -- In fact this network is becoming
more and more invaluable in this field.

			Daniel Wynalda

--
Daniel Wynalda 		| Telephone: (616) 866-1561 X22	 Ham: N8KUD
Wynalda Litho Inc. 	| Network: danielw at wyn386.UUCP ..sharkey!wyn386!danielw