dosread.c again

Systems Staff root at cca.ucsf.edu
Tue Oct 24 20:23:59 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct23.155023.28185 at utzoo.uucp>, henry at utzoo.uucp
   (Henry Spencer) writes:
> >Why do you think so many people used (use?) VMS?
>
> Because they were seduced by DEC propaganda. :-)

No smiley needed; DEC put out a sales force to push VMS and tried to
sweep Unix under the rug for a long time.

> Actually, although I don't dismiss the possibility of sheer incompetence,
> software bloat is everywhere these days.  As witness the 500KB text editors
> that very definitely are *not* 10 times better than the 50KB ones we used
> to have.

As soon as the suppliers found out they could charge more for a big
program than for a small one that did the same job the game changed.

The compactness and efficiency that users would like were quickly
discouraged by their own actions. Well, the knowledgeable users would
like it; the status game players are another story.

And the hardware manufacturers love it -- sells more expensive machines,
right? Guess what software they are going to recommend?

And that one works both ways; if the machine it runs on costs more
you can charge more for the software.

 Thos Sumner       Internet: thos at cca.ucsf.edu
 (The I.G.)        UUCP: ...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!cca.ucsf!thos
                   BITNET:  thos at ucsfcca

 U.S. Mail:  Thos Sumner, Computer Center, Rm U-76, UCSF
             San Francisco, CA 94143-0704 USA

I hear nothing in life is certain but death and taxes -- and they're
working on death.

#include <disclaimer.std>