Help! (SCO FoxBASE+)

Dave Shevett shevett at labii.UUCP
Thu Oct 26 11:33:59 AEST 1989

greyfox at agtoa.UUCP (Bruce Ide) writes:

>I'm having serious difficulty getting SCO FoxBase+ to index.
[...]
>.use mainm

Betcha this dbf has a memo field in it

>.index on dogname to dog
> file not found
>.index on dogname to dog
> file is in use
>... Same goes for
>PACK ALL and PACK. Does anyone out there have an idea as to what the
>problem may be? This is SCO XENIX V2.2.3 SYS V, foxbase version 1.0.3.
>Reply to me using mail, unless everyone else on this discussion would be
>keenly interested in the solution. Thanks.

I'm posting the reply because this problem stumped Fox also.  SCO couldn't
make heads or tails of it.  THe problem is in a temporary file made when
a database containing MEMO fields is reindexed.  I believe the file has
a .TBK extension.  If you try to reindex or pack a database with a memo
field, and the file database.tbk does not exist, FoxBase sometimes throws
up and starts giving false errors.

	I just made a db called 'try' on my SCO 386 2.3.1 system,
with 3 fields.  A and B are chars, C is a memo. Indexed on A.
A reindex with 0 records worked.  I added in a bunch of
records and they reindexed.  I did a 'delete all', then 'pack' and came
up with 'file does not exist'.  Unfortunately, this error also screws
up the open dbf tables, so you have to do 3 things before reindexing :

.!>try.tbk
.close all
.use try index try
.reindex

I just got a flyer from SCO saying they have a free update for FoxPlus
that fixes some other problems.  Wonder if they fixed this?

>              -Bruce   uunet!agtoa!greyfox

|    Dave Shevett    |  between two puns is a | Labyrinth II BBS |
| shevett at labii.UUCP |  straight line...'     |  W. Trenton, NJ  |