B News' Directory permission problem in /tmp

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Thu Oct 26 05:07:31 AEST 1989

In article <1989Oct24.214243.418 at virtech.uucp>, cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

|  This is not a "feature" of standard System V Rel 3.2 as released by Interactive,
|  and Bell Tech.  When the poster mentioned it in this group I assumed it was
|  a "feature" of SCO UNIX 3.2.  So don't blame AT&T nor POSIX, just blame SCO.

  Actually how about the user? SCO didn't make up the feature, and
certainly I can't "blame" them for implementing a POSIX feature which
helps me provide security on a system. The user could disable this
feature, it is in the manual. You might lay the blame on the
implementors of news for having an implementation which triggers this
behavior.

  SCO is the only vendor currently shipping this level of security. If
you don't need it that doesn't mean you should "blame" them for it, be
glad you run a system which doesn't need it.
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon