Resolution of >1024 cylinders question

Wm E Davidsen Jr davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM
Sat Sep 30 01:20:35 AEST 1989

In article <6191 at viscous.sco.COM>, rosso (Ross Oliver, x537, ionesco) writes:
|  Because of the increased demand for support of large disks, we are
|  changing this policy.  SCO XENIX (and SCO UNIX) will support hard
|  disks having more than 1024 cylinders provided the following three
|  conditions are met:
|
|  - The disk does not have an MS-DOS partition.

  I thought I'd done this... the DOS partition was the lowest, on tracks
1-49 or so for something the "boot: dos" could handle, and the xenix
partition was above that up to 1224 (I don't have the disk anymore, I'm
best guessing). There were three f/s in the Xenix partition, /, /u, and
/usr/spool).

  Am I misremembering that I did this, or are there cases in which you
can have DOS, too? Remember, you said the >1024 wouldn't work, either.

|  - The disk controller supports the required number of cylinders.
|
|  - If the disk is the boot device, the kernel, /xenix, must reside
|    completely within the first 1024 cylinders.  The safest way to
|    avoid this particular problem is to use the area above cylinder
|    1023 as your swap area or second file system.

    I definitiely did that.

|  No software changes are necessary, this is the way SCO XENIX currently
|  behaves.  The release notes are being rewritten for the next release
|  to include this information.

  Will this be listed as an enhancement when SCO offers a chance to
upgrade? ;-)
--
bill davidsen	(davidsen at crdos1.crd.GE.COM -or- uunet!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen)
that the world is flat!" - anon