Computone + modem = ?

Mark J. DeFilippis mark at promark.UUCP
Tue Sep 19 12:32:57 AEST 1989

In article <387 at crash.cts.com>, bblue at crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) writes:
> In article <237 at usource.UUCP> frankb at usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Frank Bicknell) writes:
> >In article <111 at nstar.UUCP> root at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder) writes:
> >>I am using the Intelliport AT8 and had the same problems until
> >>installing the new drivers and firmware. ...
> >
> >Ah, but you are using Intelliport.  I am using ATvantage.
> >Therein could lie the difference.
> >
> >Others have responded indicating they had the same problem.
> >Does _anyone_ have an ATvantage 8-port working properly with a
> >modem out there?

Yea, we do.  Well, err.. sort of... Would you believe we used to...
You see, it goes like this...

Once upon a time when we had ATvantage-X boards with 2.45 proms, and device
drivers 3.02 we could use a modem as a dial in and dial out device.

But then we upgraded to the better 3.0 proms, and better 4.04 drivers,
and we no longer have that capability.  I believe this was a new
feature. :-)

Even worse, We have a 4 port board (Atvantage or dollar, who can keep track).
Its the board with the DB45's on it, 3.0 proms and whatever the newest
drivers are. That board has a hardware problem which manifests itself in
that when you hit interrupt, the board continues to flush its output buffers.
We purchased several for a few clients, and Computone is aware of the
problem.  They are not going to fix it.  After several months of support
calls, you eventually get the hint.

By the way, we use the new IP boards also, and we have the same problem
with the modems using that product.  Is there much difference between
the ATvantage-X and the IP, besides the neat racing lights on the IP?

When we purchased out first IP board, we were told it supported 8 virtual
terminals.  After we received it, they denied they said that. The
IP board only supports 2 virtual terminals. And if you want to retain
the screen between both screens the terminal must have 2+ pages
of display ram, and be able to remember its cursor location.
(Some terminals have multiple pages of ram, but don't remember their
cursor locations from page to page. eg. tvi925's).

I will say, we continue to use their boards.  Aside from these problems,
the boards are reletively reliable and they install with relative ease
compared to other vendoes we have tried.

--
Adelphi University, Garden City, NY 11530                   (516) 663-1170
                                 markd at adelphi.UUCP  or  mark at promark.UUCP