SCO gyrations (long)

Jim Deitch jdeitch at jadpc.cts.com
Sun Sep 17 05:14:26 AEST 1989

In article <482 at mccc.UUCP>, shevett at mccc.UUCP (Dave Shevett) writes:
..... deleted

> Problem 2 - Recently my machine has refused to acknowledge that COM2:
> exists.  The opening configuration screen only shows serial port 1 with
> nports=1.  I can do all my fun stuff on that port, but trying to enable
> /dev/tty2a comes up with the perpetually dying getty.  Occasionally the
> system will come up with com2: enabled (both show in the configuration),
> but those situations are few and far between.

I have had this happen to me a couple of times.  I found it to be that the
COM2 port was not being reset properly when doing a shutdown.  Try shutting
the machine off and turning it back on.  If this seems to bring the port
up every time, it could be the uart or support chips are bad.  Try a different
card and see if it still reacts properly.  Also, check for conflicts, interupt
and i/o adresses that could be causing a conflict.

Hope this helps some.

Jim

Now, if only I could find a way to debug my kernel.....