TCP/IP network "crash"

Charles Hedrick hedrick at geneva.rutgers.edu
Fri Sep 29 09:09:45 AEST 1989

Your software is buggy.  Now and then we've run into implementations
where for some reason or other the software hung.  These have
generally been new implementations.  Such bugs were regarded
(correctly) as serious problems, and fixed.  It's also possible that a
bug or misconfiguration has resulted in a "broadcast storm".  In that
case, your software isn't hung -- it's just being saturated by lots of
packets.  I would suggest getting one of the MS/DOS TCP/IP
implementations, and running netwatch.  That should show you what is
going on if it's a broadcast storm.  If it's a fragile Ethernet device
driver, looking at the net may not shou anything.  Probably that can
only be debugged if you have source to the software.