Xenix C error message

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM
Tue Sep 5 04:06:04 AEST 1989

In article <7585 at cdis-1.uucp> tanner at cdis-1.uucp (Dr. T. Andrews) writes:
>In article <6358 at turnkey.gryphon.COM>, jackv at turnkey.gryphon.COM (Jack F. Vogel) writes:
>) ... development system ... not properly installed...what this means
>) is that one or more library may not have been branded.

>The pernicious practice of "branding" the software is not helpful
>here.  It also doesn't stop the free flow of illicit copies; anyone
>who "borrows" the disks is likely to borrow the sheet on which the
>silly serial number and "activation key" are stored.

I couldn't agree more, my point on mentioning the library perhaps not
being branded was in no way meant as advocating the practice, it was
just one possibility for the source of the error message. One of the
most refreshing features of 386/ix which I now run on turnkey is the
complete lack of this silly protection scheme. Perhaps SCO will see
the light one of these days and remove it, since you are quite right
that it is hardly an impediment to boot-leggers. The biggest problem
those running illegitimate code have is usually documentation, they
can't RTFM cause they don't have one :-}!!

BTW, Don sent me some mail indicating that his problem was not having
used ranlib and not the branding anyway.

Cheers!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at seas.ucla.edu
AIX Technical Support	              - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at ifs.umich.edu