UUCP and SMTP Mail Routing

Chip Salzenberg chip at ateng.com
Wed Sep 13 04:26:16 AEST 1989

According to eddjp at althea.UUCP (Dewey Paciaffi):
>My problem is that I would like to have elm/smail hand mail over to the
>SMTP package when appropriate. Currently any bang or domain address mail
>goes to uux, when I use elm.

My solution to this problem is:

    1.  Use a TCP/IP implementation that has a socket library; in my
	case, it's SCO TCP/IP controlled release.
    2.  Get Smail 3.1.
    3.  Compile Smail 3 with "HAVE_BSD_NETWORKING=yes" in configuration.
    4.  Install Smail 3 as /usr/lib/sendmail.
    5.  Configure Elm to use /usr/lib/sendmail.
    6.  Let Smail 3 figure out how to deliver each message.

Of course, Smail 3 isn't generally available.  IMHO, the solution posted by
Chip Rosenthal using Deliver is the next best idea.
--
You may redistribute this article only to those who may freely do likewise.
Chip Salzenberg at A T Engineering;  <chip at ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>