Comms Program For Xenix

Jean-Pierre Radley jpr at dasys1.UUCP
Thu Sep 7 07:19:10 AEST 1989

In article <7765 at charlie.OZ> vortex at charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
>	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
>	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
>	have the following functions.
>	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
>	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
>	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.
>	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
>	please leave a comment in this news area.

Once upon a time, Eric Coe wrote XCOMM; Larry Gensch wrote XCOMM 2.0; Fred Buck
enhanced it to XCMALT. Now I've uploaded XCMALT Version 2.0 to LIBrary 5 of
the TANGENT Forum of Compuserve.
I fixed loose ends, condensed the documentation, tightened the code. Put/take
now function, and allow an optional second filename for the target file. The
dialing directory adjusts to the length of your screen. Startup and user
scripts and the phonelist are sought in your current directory, home directory,
or a default library directory. Tty output is now unbuffered. Getty/LCK-file
support allow dialing out on an enabled line. The baud rate choices now extend
from 300 to 38400. More inverse video for error messages.
As before, you can:
	send a modem BREAK
	set 7-bit masking or 8-bit masking
	up/download using
		ZMODEM
		XMODEM/YMODEM (if you have rx/sz)
		CompuServe Quick-B Protocol
		plain old ASCII
	name your capture file
	toggle your capture file on or off
	upload from a file on disk
	dial from a directory of numbers,
		optionally using a script which can, for example, log you on
		to CIS, get you into a Forum, start reading messages or upload