XENIX 2.2.3 and >1024 h.d. cylinder

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Sat Sep 16 12:34:25 AEST 1989

> I have been heitating saying anything, but I have always suggested to
> people using our controllers to use the physical parameters instead
> of translation mode, as it reduces the overhead for disk I/O.  I know
> of many people using our controllers that have >10224 cylinders and
> have had no troubles.  But this has been with SCO 2.3.x.

I am running a 2372B with two 1024 * 8 head drives (Micropolis and
Miniscribe) with the drives set up as type 1.  I have an option in
the AMI BIOS (drive type 47) which is user definable (heads, cyl, precomp,
etc..) and when disabling the firmware on the controller and using
the drives as drive type 47 I have noticed no increase in IO - am I
missing something?
--
Larry Snyder                                              SCO Xenix 2.3.2 '386
uucp: iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry                Computone Intelliport AT8