Two HD controllers (Was: Re: Xenix device drivers under Unix)

Stuart Lynne sl at van-bc.UUCP
Tue Sep 19 19:34:16 AEST 1989

In article <246 at bahamut.fsc.com> jim at bahamut.fsc.com (James O'Connor) writes:
}
}The WD1007 emulates at the register level the "standard" AT drive controller
}(for instance, the WD1006), so no special drivers are needed for it.  I have
}one in the machine I'm using now, and it has vanilla 2.3.1 running.
}
}To use one of these as a second controller it would need to be set up at a
}different interrupt and I/O address, which I don't think either of these can.

At least some version's of the 1006 do. I have two installed on van-bc. Both
are the RLL version, one with Floppy, one without. Also have a SCSI
interface for a total of five hard disks.

I did have a weird configuration problem with the regular HD software. It
just wouldn't configure (dparam) the second disk on the second controller
properly. It kept going back to the same setup as the second disk on the
first contoller. I "fixed" it by using identical drives as drive two on both
controllers.

All in all, it makes for a zippy little system.

--
Stuart.Lynne at wimsey.bc.ca uunet!van-bc!sl 604-937-7532(voice) 604-939-4768(fax)