SCO customer service

Larry Snyder larry at nstar.UUCP
Mon Sep 4 00:56:11 AEST 1989

In article <1009 at polari.UUCP>, corwin at polari.UUCP (Don Glover) writes:
> I would like to know if anyone has had any GOOD experiences with
> service from SCO?  I have been using SCO Xenix for 6 months now and
> have encountered numerous problems with the development system.  I
> recently called to check on an upgrade and have received the most
> obnoxiuos amount of runaround you could ever imagine.   The fail to
> return calls, they tried to sell me a 2.3 development system for
> the 286, a piece of software that does not exist and has no scheduled
> release date.  On top of this they are charging phenomenal amounts of
> money, so much in fact it may well be less exepnsive to move to
> a different vendor!

That appears to be common in the Unix/Xenix Intel world.  I have SCO
and found USENET to provide questions to my support questions - as
well as Sandy's XBBS system on the west coast.  SCO wants way too much
for support for individuals - but that amount is justified in commercial
environments where a whole office is depending on support.

I lately switched to Interactive and found the i/o to be *outstanding*.
386/ix is hot stuff, and their technical support team while small -
actually knows the insides of the OS.  I never did use support from SCO
for fear of starting my 30 days (which then would start my non-support
at 30+ days).  Overall, the SCO manuals are excellent and 99% of my
questions could be answered using the manuals - and technical support
wasn't a major issue.

Now the Interactive manuals are another story...

.
--
Larry Snyder              uucp:iuvax!ndcheg!ndmath!nstar!larry
The Northern Star Usenet Distribution Site, Notre Dame, IN USA