Configuring Xenix

Jim Morton jim at applix.UUCP
Fri Sep 1 03:19:36 AEST 1989

> In article <200959 at neabbs.UUCP> richard at neabbs (RICHARD RONTELTAP) writes:
> One thing I have noticed is that the sysadm shell script for linking a new
> kernel is not the same as the /usr/sys/conf/sys/link_xenix script.  I seem
> to recall that the sysadm script does not do a strip on the newly generated
> kernel... Perhaps this could be it?

The configure and link_xenix process I believe differs from running a make
on the kernel in that the mini assembler in configure puts some data in the
DATA section, whereas the make with the Development System puts that data
in BSS. This will result in a size difference in /xenix of 100k+. The only
real difference though is the amount of on-disk storage the kernel takes
up -- if you compare the boot time kernel size numbers for a kernel built
each way they come out the same... You can see this happen for yourself
by watching the .s files in /usr/sys/conf.  (Don't strip the kernel!)
--
Jim Morton, APPLiX Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim at applix.com