Modem question under Xenix 2.3.2

neese at adaptex.UUCP neese at adaptex.UUCP
Thu Sep 7 09:06:00 AEST 1989

>I have three modems all running as in/out modems on this Xenix 2.3.2 (Everex
>Step 25 Mhz 386) box.
>
>The first two are TB2000's autobaud cycling at 19200 - 2400 - 1200.
>
>The third is a Hayes Smatrmodem 2400 cycling at 2400 - 1200.
>
>The problem is with the Hayes 2400 modem. A 1200 baud modem can not connect
>to this modem (actually, it connects and gets a continuous stream of garbage).
>
>The Devices entry is:
>
>ACU ttyA11 - 2400 hayes2400
>ACU ttyA11 - 1200 hayes2400
>
>Has anyone seen this problem before? Is my 2400 baud modem hosed or is it the
>way I have it configured?

To get autobauding to work, you should alter your line to read:

ACU ttyA11 - 1200-2400 hayes2400

and delete the other entry.

I had the same trouble, until I did this.  I think it is documented somewhere
in Chapter 11 of the Systems Administrator's guide.

			Roy Neese
			Adaptec Central Field Applications Engineer
			UUCP @ {texbell,killer}!cpe!adaptex!neese
				merch!adaptex!neese