SCO unix 3.2 - modem port name usage

neal at mnopltd.UUCP neal at mnopltd.UUCP
Mon Apr 9 02:30:41 AEST 1990

->In article <36 at mnopltd.UUCP> gatech!stiatl!mnopltd!neal writes:
->>tty1A has modem control; tty1a does not.  You want to enable tty1A in the
->>ttys file.   You DO want to specify the terminal type in ttytype as "modem".
->>This causes various bits of magic to occur.
->
->What bits of magic, specifically?  Unix only or Xenix too?

Oops! I get to correct my own posting!  After this got loose I realized that
the terminal type should be "dialup", NOT "modem".   As far as magic, I noticed
that when the port is enabled or disabled, the revelant dialer program is
called to poke the modem into or out of auto-answer state.   Beyond that, I
can't comment except to say the whole thing works properly in a bi-directional
persuasion.   Since ttys/ttytype is a BSD/xenix aberration, this would not
be the case in more formal AT&T (feh!) versions of unix and I can't comment
on SCO Unix.