Problems with UUCP and Telebits

Bill Campbell campbell at Thalatta.COM
Mon Apr 9 01:06:53 AEST 1990

In article <143 at avatar.UUCP> kory at avatar.UUCP (Kory Hamzeh) writes:
>I am running Xenix386 2.3.2 with the HoneyDanBer UUCP package. My Telebit
>is running on COM1 and 1200/2400/19200 bps. I seem to have alot of problems
>at 19200 with incoming calls. The uucico log file just says:
>
>	FAILED (conversation complete)
>
>Can anyone give me any hints as to what to look for? Or even send me a copy
>of your default NVRAM values for the Telebit?

The problem is most likely in the uart on the COM1 port.  These are
typically brain-damaged parts that work OK on Messy-DOS because DOS
doesn't process interrupts, but fail miserably under a real operating
system.  The original IBM releases of Xenix specified maximum port
speeds of 2400 baud on a *10 FOOT CABLE* :-) largely because of the
port problems.

>On outgoing calls, the problem also occurs, but far less frequent.

This is on incoming data, not calls because you are under control more
of the time and the machine is not being asked to process the incoming
interrupts as frequently, particularly since the Telebits are doing
most of the ACKing.

I don't remember the part number of the later uart chips, but replacing
your COM1 board is probably your only alternative to get as high as
9600 on COM1.

I am running Telebit+s at 19,200 with no problems at all on a Specialix
8-port board, but have had problems on tty1A or tty2A.

--
....microsoft--\                    Bill Campbell; Celestial Software
...uw-beaver-----!thebes!camco!bill 6641 East Mercer Way