RLL formats & SCO Xenix

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Thu Feb 8 09:56:16 AEST 1990

In article <90020606211487 at masnet.uucp> mark.levy at canremote.uucp (MARK LEVY) writes:
>Au>From: Anthony_Mak_Fiorentino at cup.portal.com
>Au>Orga: The Portal System (TM)
>
>Au>I asked for an upgrade of hard disk from some 65MB to 110MB on my
>Au>last purcha of an 386 computer; only to find out when I looked
>Au>closely that the hard disk was formatted up to 110 with an RLL
>Au>controller. I should think that it si false advertising to say you
>Au>are selling a 30MB disk when it is actually a 20MB disk formatted to
>Au>30MB capacity.  I take it that  the 95 adde cost on my bill was
>Au>actually for the us of the RLL technology. I need tyo  look at
>Au>whether I paid for anything new at all.

Those are strong words -- false advertising.

Did you get 110MB of disk storage?  Then you did indeed get what you were
told you would.  Absent any claim of the technology used to get that
storage before the sale, you don't have a point or a complaint.

If you were/are concerned with the interface details, you should >ask<
before placing your order.

The $95 may have covered a better controller and/or a certified RLL disk
drive.  I don't know, since you didn't quote model numbers off the parts.
If you had, someone (myself included) might have been able to tell you.

>Au>My other concern is what
>Au>effect RLL can have on running SCO Xenix. The literature refers to
>Au>some  legal use of some RLL disks by Xenix.  Should I return it for
>Au>another type of disk? Any help appreciated. As an non-engineer I am
>Au>giving up on understanding all these hardware particulars.
>
>   I have had no problems since I installed an RLL controller in my
>XENIX system.  It's been almost a year now, and not a hiccup.  I
>am using a Mitsubishi MR-535, which is RLL cretified, and a Priam
>ID-130, which isn't.  I don't want to start any wars on this subject,
>but I have a high degree of confidence in the Priam drive.  My controller
>is a WD 1006V-SR2

Ditto.  We use the WD1006 series here, and the Adaptec ACB2372.  Both work
just fine.  The WD1006 is faster under Xenix, there is less difference under
MSDOS or ISC Unix.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 566-8911], Voice: [+1 708 566-8910]