RLL formats & SCO Xenix

Bradley W. Fisher brad at microm.UUCP
Sat Feb 10 05:16:56 AEST 1990

In article <1990Feb7.041139.28042 at tah386.manhattan.ks.us>, terry at tah386.manhattan.ks.us (Terry Hull) writes:

> I was told by PGI, who used to be Priam distributors, that the only
> difference between an ID/130 and an ID/230 was the 230 came with a RLL
> controller and the 130 did not come with a controller.  They claimed
> that Priam certified both drives for use with RLL controllers.

Close. Both drives are identical but during production they are tested
as RLL, and if they pass they get an ID/230 sticker and marketed as an
RLL drive in the catalog. If not ID/130 goes on and it is marketed as
an ID/130. (Look in any catalog that used to carry Priam). The key point
on these drives is the quality of the media (chromium instead of iron
oxide). I've got many ID/130's running RLL ok and a few with a bad sector
popping up every few month's. BTW, I can just about throw a stone from
here to PGI, and many of the Priam installs I see were from there.

I'm just a wanna be UNIX guru (IJWBUG)               | Micro Maintenance, Inc.
						     | 2465 W. 12th St. #6
	   -== Brad Fisher ==- 		             | Tempe, Arizona  85281
     ...!asuvax!mcdphx!hrc!microm		     | 602/894-5526