IBM PC disks

Roger Knopf 5502 rogerk at sco.COM
Thu Feb 1 13:08:33 AEST 1990

In article <22576 at usc.edu> kjh at pollux.usc.edu (Kenneth J. Hendrickson N8DGN) writes:
>I have heard that MS-DOS (yech!) can only handle fixed disks of 32 MB
>and smaller.  I assume that Xenix has no such limit.  My question is
 this:

You assume correct re: xenix.

>What do MS-DOS users do when they want to use a disk larger than 32 MB?
>Do they partition the physical disk into many logical disks of 32MB or
>smaller?  Do they use a seperate device driver that uses memory?
>[Perhaps do they abandon MS-DOS in favour of Xenix? :-)]
>
>What do people do when they want to use a large disk for both MS-DOS and
>Xenix?  Do they use the MS-DOS fdisk program to set up the partitions?
>Does Xenix come with a similar program?  Does the Xenix version of this
>program have the ability to set up partitions on MS-DOS disks?

They set up their MS-DOS partitions as the first partition on their HD
and Xenix on the rest. Xenix also has an fdisk program but you need
to use DOS fdisk to work with DOS partitions (other than change the
active partition).

Roger Knopf
SCO Consulting Services
disclaimer: the usual