splitting up root and use

MARK LEVY mark.levy at canremote.uucp
Sun Feb 4 21:23:00 AEST 1990

ts>Has anyone been brave enough to try to take the /usr files out of
ts>the root filesystem under SCO UNIX 3.2?  If so, how much stuff did
ts>it break?  How difficult was the split, and how difficult is it
ts>to reinstall the OS now that you have a non-standard configuration?

ts>BTW:  A 3B15 mounts both the root and usr filesystems before it comes
ts>up in single user mode.  That seems like it would be a good idea
ts>for SCO UNIX as well.  I am going to be reconfiguring my filesystems
ts>soon, and wondered if anyone had tried this.  Thanks in advance.

   Hi Terry,
      How've you been?  I hope you will be getting this, and I won't
look like a total fool.   I'm posting this to you from KCMO, via
Canada...  To think, you're only about an hour away....

   I haven't tried SCO UNIX yet, but I've got my XENIX (2.3.3) /usr
file system seperate, and I just mount it when I need to come up single
user.  I haven't had any problems, but with the different file system
used in UNIX, I guess that isn't a guarentee.  I'd like to upgrade to
UNIX (I think) but I have too much invested in software right now to
justify the change (Office Portfolio Suite isn't compatable, VP/ix
might be, and my Informix RDS is a big unknown).

   Take care

Mark
---
 ~ DeLuxe 1.11a18 #3019
 ~ QNet 2.04a:NorthAmeriNet: Sound Advice BBS ~ Gladstone ~ MO