PANIC - Non-recoverable kernal page fault...

Mowgli Assor mowgli at sioux.cis.ohio-state.edu
Wed Feb 28 10:43:59 AEST 1990

Well, here it goes again! <Sigh> Recently, we have had a rash of page fault
panics (4 in 5 days). We have not changed anything for weeks! So, can someone
explain a few things to me? First off, what each of the various codes below
stands for (I would presume PC is program counter, KSP is some form of stack
pointer, but as for the rest - ?). I do not know much about the Intel arch-
itecture, as far as what specific registers do & what the various traps stand
for. Any information here would be appreciated.

The machine we are using is an IBM PS/2 Model 80, 6Meg RAM, ~100Meg HD, w/3
Digiport smart modem boards. Thursday, we got the following error messages:

Trap 0000000E in SYSTEM     error = 00000000
   eax = F000272A
   ebx = 00000006
   ecx = 00000000
   edx = 000000A1
   esi = 0000C420
   edi = F000272A
   ebp = 060006F8
   fl  = 00010282
   uds = 00000018
   es  = 00000018
   fs  = 0000003F
   gs  = 0600003F
   pc  = 00000020:0001D40D
   ksp = 060006D0
Panic - Non-recoverable Kernal Page Fault

Trap 0000000E in SYSTEM     error = 00000000
   eax = F000272A
   ebx = 00000006
   ecx = 00000000
   edx = 000000A1
   esi = 0000C420
   edi = F000272A
   ebp = 060006DC
   fl  = 00010282
   uds = 06090018
   es  = 06000018
   fs  = 0000003F
   gs  = 0000003F
   pc  = 00000020:0001D40D
   ksp = 060006B4
Panic - Non-recoverable Kernal Page Fault

Then, today (Tuesday) when I arrived at work, I again found a kernal page
fault waiting for me. All values were the same as the above listed error
messages, except for the following:

	esi = 0000B700
	ebp = 06000404
	gs  = 0001003F
	ksp = 060003DC

Now, the fact that it seems to die with the PC in the same place each time
makes me very suspicious. Of course, it is likely that only SCO can tell me
where the OS is dying (as far as what program causes it).

Has anyone else ever had a problem remotely like this? As I said, we have not
changed any of our hardware or software setup within the last month, & yet
this only started happening last Thursday. Any help would be greatly ap-
preciated!
					Thanks, <Mowgli>

PS. I RTFM already. It had very little of use to say on the subject.
-=-
Address: mowgli at puffer.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mowgli Assor in real life)
     Or: mowgli at cis.ohio-state.edu, mowgli at osu-20.ircc.ohio-state.edu
The 2 precepts of Semi-Divinity:	(1) Mind Thine Own Business.
					(2) Don't Worry About It.