Don't flush my queue!

Jeff Wood jdw at hpfijdw.HP.COM
Thu Feb 8 06:54:34 AEST 1990

If anyone is interested in using smart serial boards and spooled
serial printers, take note!  I found out that as soon as the system
receives xon signal from the printer, it will flush the port.  When
this happens, all requests that were previously in the queue are
dumped to the port at the same time.

To prevent this from happening, you must hold the port high.
I accomplished this by adding this line to the file "/etc/rc.d/7/udaemons"

	while :;do sleep 3600;done < /dev/ttya5 &

where /dev/ttya5 is the serial port in question.  This command will
loop forever and keep the port active.  An explanation of this solution
is in the latest issue of SCO Discovery magazine.

Jeff (Sorry I answered my own question) Wood