Xenix 386-AT system reboots when modem is turned off.

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Thu Feb 8 23:26:33 AEST 1990

perry at bluemtn.uucp (Perry Minyard (3MTA3)) writes:

}Im running SCO XENIX 386 2.3.3-AT using a 20MHZ 80386 "DYNA" machine with
}4 meg ram, and an 80 meg seagate drive.   I have a Hayes 9600 baud V Series
}modem attached to COM1 (tty1A).

}If I turn the modem off while the operating system is up and running,
}the machine does a cold boot.   This also happens on another machine which
}is a 33 mhz 80386 using the same type of serial card and modem and OS.

}The card is a generic "SUNTEK" serial card with just one serial port.

[ deleted ]

}I also have the same type of serial card and 33mhz machine running at my office
}under SCO XENIX 386 2.3.3 (GT Version (for a SCSI drive), and it doesn't reboot
}when the modem is turned off.  All three computers, modems, and serial

[ more stuff deleted ]

It sounds like you might have a bad serial card.  Somehow the serial card is
triggering a hardware reset when the modem is turned off.  Try replacing the
serial card or even swapping it with the one at the office and see what
happens.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.